Woodloes Walk Trail, Canning River Park
About the Trail
This six kilometre return trail takes you along the Canning River starting at Kent St Weir and finishing at Masons Landing. The trail is a fully wheelchair accessible and a bike path, which meanders through the regional park, following many interpretative signs detailing the ecosytems and fauna that exist along the way.
A highly recommended addition to this trail is to include the Woodloes Homestead, one of the few remaining houses of the 19th century, now a historic museum open from 2-5pm every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month, only a further 10 minute walk from Mason's Landing along Woodloes St.
Originally named Cannings Landing, Masons Landing was used as an access point for the timber cut at Benjamin Mason's mill in Bickley, and transferred by flat bottomed barges to Fremantle. The timber cut from the Darling Scarp was pulled by bullock to the landing, later along tramways to be barged downstream to Fremantle. In 1865 the landing was to be the site of the newly established steam powered timber mill. This saw the establishment of a bakery, a butcher, school and mill store all at the landing.
Mason joined with Francis Bird in 1871, to create the Bird Mason Timber Company. They supplied timber to India for sleepers and telegraph poles to South Australia. The company won tenders for the supply of timber for the building of the Causeway and North Fremantle Bridge, the roof of Perth Town Hall, the first Government Railway line from Geraldton to Northampton and the first section of the Ocean Jetty in Fremantle. Bird's biggest contribution to the company was the development of the tramway connecting Mason Mill to Mason's Landing, a 9 mile journey for horse drawn "trains".
Employing over 1% of WA's male population at the time, the company made an enormous contribution to both the timber industry and the Canning and Kalamunda regions.
Please be sure to read our full Disclaimer relating to information provided on the Trails WA website.