The Old Stock Route Trail
This 102km return drive trail retraces a portion of Stock Route (No. 9701), a route through the Upper Murchison and Gascoyne Districts originally established in 1895, linking Mullewa with the De Grey River.
About the Trail
The Old Stock Route Trail commences at the tourist pull-off bay on the Geraldton-Mount Magnet Road, Mullewa. The trail is a 102km (return) drive which retraces a portion of Stock Route (No. 9701). It includes some gravel tracks.
Features include three of the original Government wells, two natural rockholes, a nature reserve, seasonal wildflowers and ancient river beds.
Travelled at a leisurely pace it offers a half-day excursion with opportunities for picnicking and rock-climbing. In 1866 E.T. Hooley had pioneered this pathway through to the north. By the late 1890s this route was in full use as Government well-sinkers established reliable wells. In 1905 the entire network of northern and eastern stock routes became gazetted as A Class Reserves.
Please be mindful of wildlife, take rubbish with you and observe fire restrictions.
The City of Greater Geraldton respectfully acknowledges the Southern Yamatji Peoples who are the Traditional Owners and First Peoples of this land.