Heritage Trail, Broome
The 1.2 kilometre Heritage Trail connects Broome’s iconic and historic locations largely centered on fascinating Chinatown. A map is available online, (broomedirect.com.au) or ask at the tourist office. This walk is a great way to orientate your way around Broome and soak up the town’s fascinating history, especially the pearl industry.
About the Trail
This walk is a great way to orientate your way around Broome and soak up the towns fascinating history, especially the pearl industry.
Highlights to look out for include:
- Sun Picture Gardens, which has shown movies since 1916.
- Streeter and Male, a stone office building built in the 1890s.
- Captain Gregory’s House, a great example of Broome’s unique tropical architecture that was built in 1915.
- Johnny Chi Lane, lined with old buildings that are mainly retail outlets.
- And the classic Broome watering hole, Roebuck Bay Hotel built in 1890, but undergone many changes since.
There are plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants and bars to break the walk.