The bench beside Garratt Road Bridge looks out over an area of the Swan River where the supremely important Ancestral Being, the Waagle, shed its sunburnt skin according to Wadjuk Noongar tradition.
The bridge itself has a heritage listed southbound lane constructed in 1939. The northbound lane was built in 1970.
When the Swan River Colony was established by the British Empire in 1829, Aboriginal people were forced to make way for European settlers. Although Wadjuk Noongar had lived comfortably off the land here for thousands of years, lack of respect for traditional knowledge about the river, soils, climate and traditional food sources meant many new farms failed at first.
Pelicans (Noongar: Boodalang)are often seen in this area along with Maali, the famous Black Swans of the Perth region.